Sunday, December 5, 2010

Food Fetish: Chili Peppers



As December presents us with the darkest days of the year, and arctic winds try to nudge their way over the mountains that crown Vancouver, it's the perfect time of year to crank up the heat and turn up the spice.

This all comes very easily to this month's food fetish star Heidi Joy Brown. RMT and veritable fire cracker, Heidi chose a festive and warming food: chili peppers. Varied in size, shape, colour, flavour and heat, this food is always fun to experiment with.

Like love, it's hard to resist indulging in chili, and although there's always the possibility of getting burned, it's so worth it! Time to dive in....

V: Why Chili Peppers?

HJB: I love chili peppers because they are so versatile. Thai, Mexican, Indian: heat adds a whole new dimension to food without drastically altering the flavour. But maybe it's genetic...my father can eat the hottest things imaginable!

V: What do you love about winter?

HJB: I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this in Vancouver, but I love winter for the snow! I love the crunch of it beneath my feet, the glory of the white against a blue sky (if we ever get to see one) and all the free time previously spent at the beach now devoted to cooking.

V: Favourite winter meal?

HJB: Soup with a mug of mulled wine, hands down! While I am a fan of many soups, my old friend Spicy Ginger-Peanut is at the top of my list. And Mexican-style spicy hot chocolate for dessert.

V: What are you passionate about?

HJB: I feel pretty thankful in my life to have a job that I love, friends and family that support me and the best dog in the world. Those things work in a positive loop to keep me inspired and creating.

V: Favourite money stretching technique?

HJB: I find that when I plan my meals for the week, not only do I eat healthier, my buck goes a lot farther too. The planning process also inspires me to try new recipes, which I coordinate (peanut ginger soup + cauliflower curry) so that mismatched leftovers don't go bad in the fridge.


Spicy Peanut-Ginger Soup

1 tbs. grapeseed oil
1 large onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
1 chili pepper, minced (or more to taste!)
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
6 cups vegetable broth
2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1 tsp honey

Garnish: crushed peanuts and minced green onion

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook, stirring until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, black pepper, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the sweet potato, broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender or in a regular blender in two batches and return to the pot. Add the peanut butter and honey and stir, over low heat, until the peanut butter melts.


Aztecan Hot Xocolate

1+2/3 Cup Almond Milk (or hemp milk, for an equally creamy texture)
1 vanilla bean
1 red chili pepper, split with seeds removed
1 cinnamon stick
1 peppermint teabag
1+1/2 oz dark fair trade chocolate, grated
honey or agave syrup to taste

Heat milk with vanilla bean, chili pepper, cinnamon stick, and tea bag. Simmer for 5 minutes, then strain milk, return to pot on medium heat and add grated chocolate.
Allow to melt, add honey to taste.

Serves two, of course!

Enjoy fireside, or snuggled up in your fort made of blankets and kitchen chairs.


Photography: Aja Dawn
Hair and Make-up: Jacqueline Bloxom

Special Thanks: Julian Ing


No comments: